12/29/10

Mish~Mash

"But Let The Righteous Be Glad; Let Them Rejoice Before God: Yea, Let Them Exceedingly Rejoice."
Psalm 68:3

I have decided to use one day of the week to play catch up on other areas of my life besides my walk and how it is affecting me in a day to day setting.

Contrary to popular belief, I do actually have a life outside of Church.

A life filled with people who amuse me to no end.

So I will use this day (whichever day it may be since I haven't decided yet) as a down day to fill you in on other things that are going on.

A day to show you the lighter side of my walk, the sense of humor He has and possibly a day to just unload a weeks worth of bits and pieces.


Christmas Eve ~ As most of you know (or maybe not, but you do now), my Grandmother lives with us, she is almost 90 and very set in her ways. She eats with certain silverware, drinks from the same mug each day, eats the same (gross) food combinations, very, very rarely does she venture from her comfort zone and the way I see it, since she has lived this long, leave her be.

She complains. A. Lot. About nothing, however again, she is up there so I just leave her be.

She never gets to leave the house (so says she, but this isn't true, we aren't in the habit of holding people hostage, she just never wants to leave), and she never gets to go to Church (again, this is wrong, she wants to go to a Baptist Church and we have offered to drop her off/pick her up etc...), so on Christmas Eve I found a midnight candlelight service and asked her if she wanted to go.
No it wasn't a Baptist Church, no it wasn't my Church, it was one up the street and she agreed to go.

I should have paid more attention to the word "contemporary" before the words "candlelight service".

She is older, doesn't hear well and refuses to wear her hearing aid, so since she can't hear she screams EVERYTHING.

We got all dressed up, got to the Church, sat down and waited...

She is reading the program and notices the Minister is female, which she announced to everyone within a 50 mile radius. (Yes, I am female, yes, I will be a Pastor and yes, she is proud of that, however the shock seemed a lot for her to actually see one in action.)

The Minister walked out and I swore my Grandmother was going to take a leave of her senses right there in Church.

The Minister was wearing a miniskirt and a sequined sleeveless top and she looked identical to my husbands' mistress...

I am talking mirror image people.

So my Nana (as we call her) is just watching, not noticing who the woman is at the front of the Church and I pointed out in her program that she was indeed the Minister and she says loudly (with a large amount of disdain) - "That is the Minister?" "Sheesh"

No tact my friends.


Hence the reason I stopped asking her to go to Church with me.

She is southern born, Baptist bred and has zero understanding of why I am in the AME Church, to hear her, sometimes you would think I was forced to join a cult.

She doesn't get how I became a member of a Church that isn't anywhere close to the Baptist roots I was raised with and she would prefer I was a member of a Baptist Church.

Since the mistress is Baptist, (no offense to any of you who are practicing Baptists), I want nothing to do with the religion I was "raised", however I can't say that to her without someone on the next block hearing it.

I love her and I am thrilled that Tigger is able to spend time with his Great-Grandmother, I just wish at times she would watch what she says and how she says it.
To listen to her at times, we are still back in the days of slavery and times haven't moved from then.

Things I don't want Tigger to know about at this point in time, it isn't that she is judging, it is just apparent she was raised in a completely different era then I was.

Which I may add is another reason I don't take her to my Church.

She is still of the "Wife in the kitchen, barefoot and pregnant" mentality, and has stated on too many occasions to count, that if I cooked better or kept a house in a different way, my husband wouldn't have left, I know that isn't true, however it can be a stinger if I allow it to be, I chose to not allow it to affect me.

I know she means well, I know she is heartbroken over what my husband has done and I know she wants the best for me in whatever I choose to do, she just sometimes has a funny way over showing it and a very loud way of expressing it.

So there you have it, my Grandmother in a nutshell.














No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You For Taking The Time To Leave A Little Piece Of Yourself With Me!

©

2009-2015 Serenity ~



All Rights Reserved By Their Respective Copyright Holders



All Pictures (unless otherwise noted) Are Used Via Google Images